Thursday, December 3, 2015

Week 14: Storytelling



The Second Circle 


My name is Dante. It is now the third day of my journey with my guide. Every minute and second that passes I am afraid of what we will encounter. There are spirits that do not understand how or why I am allowed into the Inferno and they question my guide all the time. However, it is a higher power that has allowed my entry. There is so much to learn here and the more than I learn, the more I pray for my own soul. Today we left the first circle and ascended into the second circle. I asked my guide why the souls in this circle where there. His answer was very simple the sinners that took part of this circle where their because of their flesh, their carnal sins. Their sins varied from vanity and luxury to lust and adultery. 

I had no idea that I would see many people that I had heard about in my childhood in this place. Can you believe that Cleopatra was in the second circle?! I was so shocked too. After my guide had named the ancient knights and women I felt sad and I felt bad for them. I thought they were good people and I couldn't imagine the hell (literally), that they were going through. My guide could tell that I was upset so he grabbed my arm and navigated me through the second circle so that I could gather myself up.

As we were walking I noticed some souls that were near to me. I am they were very very close and I did not understand why they were so close to us. I asked my guide and told me that they were close because they had souls that went together. Love was the reason that they were there. It was in the midst of these souls that I met Paolo and Francesca but I spoke to Francesca the most. She told me how her destiny was changed when it all started with a kiss. Can you imagine that? Her husband killed her after he found out about her affair with Paolo. I can imagine she regrets it as it was only a moment of weakness but since their souls are together I can only assume she really did love him.

All I know after visiting this second circle is that I will now watch my back and make sure that love and any other carnal feeling will not lead me to this circle. I am frightened and I never want to send my eternal days there.


The second circle 
Image taken from Untextbook : Wikipedia commons 


Author's Note : 
I used the story Dante's Inferno : Paolo and Francesa to inspire my story this week. I really enjoyed this section of the reading that I did not really change any of the plot. The only thing that I did to make this story my own is that I made the story as if it were Dante telling the story in his own words or in a diary. I felt like this way it would be easier for the reader to know what was going on and more about Dante's feelings as he was navigating the second circle. 


9 comments:

  1. Dante's Inferno is such a versatile book to work with! Every storytelling I've read that was based off of Dante has been so different and I think that is amazing! Your story was very well written and I was very intrigued by how you focused on the second circle of hell and how so many people have succumbed to the sins of the flesh. It kind of feels like it could be the sin that defines our generation, right? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Limayre!

    Your story was so interesting this week! This was the most spiritual story I think that I have read thus far in this class. I feel like most stories we read and the ones that I write in my storytelling are pretty light when it comes to content. I loved changing it up and reading something with a deeper meaning that really made me think! I think you are a good writer! I saw a few typos that could be easily fixed. Also, there was just one sentence with a grammar issue that I saw that was a run-on!

    "His answer was very simple the sinners that took part of this circle where their because of their flesh, their carnal sins." Maybe you could try to rewrite it: "His answer was very simple: the sinners that took part of this circle were their because of their flesh, their carnal sins."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Limayre. Dante's inferno has so much content to work with. Everyone who wrote about it this week took a different approach. I like that you chose to tell the story from Dante's perspective. I agree that it makes it easier to understand and relate to. I did notice that in your 3rd paragraph, something went wrong in the second sentence. I enjoyed reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Limayre,

    I really enjoyed this story this week. I love Dante's Inferno a lot and so I enjoyed reading your spin on it. My only comment that I noticed is that you could use some commas in a few of your sentences. Fore example: "As we were walking, I noticed some souls that were near to me." You did a good job on this story though! It was nice reading your stories throughout the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!

    Your comment on my story was sweet, thank you! I really loved this. I love anything related to Dante's Inferno. Also, I was going to try writing something related to it this week but it seemed to big of a challenge for me. So definitely kudos to you for tackling it and owning it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Limayre, I really liked your week 14 story. I also just read Dante and really like your version of the story. I love how you made it basically Dante’s Diary post through the inferno. It really gives the reader great insight into Dante’s experience while also making it your own story. I decided to write mine with a modern twist with a surprise ending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey Limayre!
    you know i have never read Dante's inferno, but after reading your story i might have to check it out. I really like they way that you set everything up and made it so we could understand what Dante was feeling and seeing. that would be such a creepy place to be. good work and i might have to check out some of your other work as well

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked that you changed the view point in this story. I was not familiar with the story before I read your retelling. I thought it was very interesting and entertaining. I could not find any grammatical errors. Your author’s note helped me understand where you got your ideas from. I also liked the image at the end of the story. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your idea of rewriting the story of “Dante's Inferno: Paolo and Francesa” in a diary like form really helped me understand it better. It was much easier to read as well. I felt like you did a good job putting the story into Dante’s perspective and sharing his thoughts and feelings. Going through hell and seeing all these people must really be nerve racking. Great job on the story!

    ReplyDelete