Monday, August 31, 2015

Why I love Growth Mindset



When I first entered college I was so afraid of failure and not being able to give as much of my time as other students around me ( I still battle with comparing my time with the time of other students) because in High School making the grades was never a problem. I hardly did any work and always got an A. However, I am sure we all know that it is very difficult to "get by" in college. At times, I have felt that learning is hassle and a stress in my life rather than the joy that it should be. I mean, we are so privileged in the fact that we have the opportunity to learn from brilliant professors yet, I see so many people around me (including myself) studying to make the grade and not studying to learn. To some it is difficult to understand the difference but it is exactly what is happening within our educational society. I love Growth Mindset because it makes it very clear that our level of intelligence isn't measure by a 90% or an 89%. I have had to learn that sometimes my time for things isn't really "my time". By that I mean, "not yet", just like Carol Sweck said. I can apply Growth Mindset to my life at OU everyday because I have to remind myself that no matter what, I am always learning something and I should be proud of those accomplishments. I recently failed a class (for the first time ever) and I kept beating myself about it over and over again to the point where I felt incompetent but now, I will have to remind myself if I ever face something like that again, "not yet". 

As I start a new chapter of my life, I will have to learn how to manage my time as a student, worker, mother and wife. It will be difficult as I am taking heavy sciences this semester (cell biology and neurobiology- eek) but I will remind myself that I am on a learning curve. Learning about Carol Sweck and Growth Mindset was such an excellent beginning to my semester and a great motivator. 



I always tell myself, if you have hit rock bottom, you can only go up from there.  That is the only reason why I continue persevering. 


4 comments:

  1. Hello Limayre! I hope you are able to find that harmony with every aspect of your life and that you can apply the growth mindset to each area. I really like how you give us a reality check and remind us that we are in college to learn and not just make the grade. I have been to other countries in which higher education is not available and that really showed me how much of a privilege it is for us to have the opportunity to attend OU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You always seem to not impress me through your writings limayre! I to agree with your on the growth mindset now in days we just study for the grades and not to learn. I honestly believe that if we went to school to just learn we would have a much easier time rather then to make the grades. It is difficult being in your shoes but keep up the good work limayre! You got this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I complete agree with your outlook on education. An A really means nothing if you didn't learn something new. I think our society is set up to make us so scared of failure that a lot of people will do anything to ensure success. I find it extremely impressive that you're using the growth mindset in every class you're taking. I'm happy that you are learning to balance out life and school. I always tell myself that you can never be successful if you never try. I wish you the best of luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Limayre~ I completely agree with you in that it's hard to enjoy learning in college, especially when we have such hectic schedules and have to balance so much! I am also battling with time management. During my first two years at OU, I did not do much except go to class, go home, eat, and study. I eventually got used to that system and was able to manage it. However, this semester, I have to balance work, social activities, extracurriculars, as well as more difficult coursework. So it's been quite a struggle, but it IS a learning curve and we can both manage! :D

    ReplyDelete