Monday, September 21, 2015

Demons of Latin America : Styles Brainstorming





Topic : I have decided that My Storybook will be about the tales and myths that I was told as I child growing up. In Latin America many children grow up hearing and fearing the monsters and demons depicted to us. This topic is very personal to me and I think that it would be great to also talk about something that I have had personal contact with. The stories that I think would be great and original to Latin America is El Cucuy , La Llorona, and El Chupacabras. I do not think I will have a hard time finding other stories if I choose not to go with any of the following. There are many other creatures that have originated from different countries of Latin America. 


Bibliography:

El Cucuy: "Coco (folklore)." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 31 July 2015. Web. 22 Sept. 2015.
La Llorona : "La Llorona." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 21 Sept. 2015. Web. 22 Sept. 2015.
El Chupacabras :"Chupacabra." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 6 Sept. 2015. Web. 22 Sept. 2015.

Possible Styles:

1. A witness as a storyteller : In this story style I would tell the stories from the perspective of a villager or such narrating the events that he/she saw unfold in front of them. I think that this is my first option as it is how many of these stories get told to us. These stories are passed down our generations from our elders. I think a villager as the narrator suits the culture the best too. Given this idea, first-person would be the method of narrating his/her experiences but the stories themselves would be third-person storyteller style. 

2. The demons/monsters  telling the reader about what they did and why they act that way : I like this style as well too. It could be something to the effect of the diary of the demons. This would also be a first- person style. I think that this style would give the reader and in- depth look at the intentions and thoughts of these creatures. I think this style would also give me the freedom to contribute my own ideas to the story but I am not sure if we can alter the stories in some way and expand on them in a way that we want to. If we are allowed this freedom then I think that this is definitely the style that I want to take. 

3. A tourist book : This style would present these stories in a marketable setting. Since Latin American is a very touristic region it can be a journey to the different countries where these stories originated from. My Storybook could be a guide and in the guide the tourist would find pictures, areas of where this creature has "been seen" and of course, the famous story behind the creatures. 
I think this style is very creative, fun and different from my previous styles. 

4. Children's Book : Lastly, this style would be geared towards children. Although, this storybook would probably not be the best bedtime story, I think that it could engage children in Latin American culture. This style would use child geared vocabulary and of course a lot of cartoon images. The horror of these creatures would probably be toned down too. However, to make this style unique, I would make it sort of fable style where there would be a saying at the end of the stories such as the moral of the story. Example, " No te portes mal, si no El Cucuy vendrĂ¡ por ti en la noche" " Do not misbehave or The Cucuy will come for you at night". 



No comments:

Post a Comment