Monday, September 14, 2015

Storybook Topics




Topics Brainstorm 


Topic: Heroes in Greek Mythology

Comments: I think this is a topic that will really interest me because Greek mythology has always intrigued me. I like how these characters play a very important role in the way things in the world play out. Heroes are characters that represent a community and that is why I find them interesting. 

Possible Stories:  I know many may have heard of famous Heroes in Greek mythology. Possible stories would be revolved around important characters such as Odysseus and his role in the unfolding of the Earth.

Sample Story Comments: Odysseus is a key character in Homer's Odyssey. He is most famous for his actions during the Trojan War. More importantly he is known for his travels back home after the war. Not only does this specific story grab my attention because of the importance of his character for the Greek. War is one of the main reason why this story reels me in. The effect of adding rivals in heroic scenarios makes the story ever the more interesting. 

Bibliography: Homer's Odyssey 
Author: Homer
Year: 1895



Topic: Mermaids 

Comments: I have always found mermaids to be so fascinating and mysterious. The biggest reason why this is one of my topics is because in our space time, my husband and I have spent time watching documentaries over the existence of mermaids. In the Disney world, mermaids are portrayed in a very delicate and princess-like light. However in many of the tales it seems as if their can be a darker side to mermaids and I love it! 

Possible Stories: After searching about mermaids I have found that there is a lot of resources. By searching I came across " The Little Mermaid". This story along with others will give me good options for my selections.

Sample Story Comments: In this version of "The Little Mermaid", we are introduced to the differences between her siblings and herself. Out of all her family she was the only with a fish tail. This set her apart. However, she was also different in the way that she thought and acted and looked up to her grandmother for a lot of advice. 

Bibliography: The Little Mermaid
Author: Hans Christian Andersen
Year: 1837




Topic: The Demons of Latin- American Mythology

Comments: I knew that I perhaps wanted t include my culture somehow in my storybook. Greek and Roman Mythology are among the most popular. However, Latin- American mythology is often underrated. My topic would focus on the evil spirits and characters that many Hispanics grew up hearing about. IN FACT, 9/10 (my own statistic) of Hispanics will tell you that often time our parents would discipline us and tell us to behave in order to avoid being taken away by "El Cucuy" or the bogeyman. 

Possible Stories: I wasn't really able to find much of Latin-American mythology with the resources that we were given so I took it upon myself and found some sources that give me a lot to work with. My favorite would probably be an outline of different legends in Latin-American culture divided out by country of origin and such. 

Sample Story Comment: La llorona is a Latin-American character that is known all over the world. She was a murderer and now her spirit haunts others. It is said through legend that she will kidnap children to make up for her own. 

Bibliography: Stories passed down to me through the generations. 


Topic: Nursery Rhymes

Comments: Nursery Rhymes are personal to me in the sense that I am hearing them all the time. My daughter loves to listen to these stories and watch videos of them being played out on YouTube. I think that it would be neat if I could tell her about other Nursery Rhymes that aren't as popular but are as good if not, BETTER! 

Possible Stories: Wow, I did not realize how many possibilities I had. The Real Mother Goose would probably be my biggest source. In this book I have found so many stories such as, The Flying Pig, Lucy Locket, and others. This would a very easy topic to write about.

Sample Story Comments: I liked reading The Alphabet. It's a nursery rhyme that goes through the alphabet with little sayings between the lines. In the end I believe that it speaks about the importance of education. 

Bibliography: The Real Mother Goose
Author (Illustrated by: Blanche Fisher Wright)
Year: Ebook, 2004





No comments:

Post a Comment