Monday, November 23, 2015

Storytelling Week 13: The exchange



The Exchange


There once was a father who had three beautiful daughters. They were the most beautiful of the town. His daughters were his most prized possession and he would take really good care of them until he faced financial problems. The father had a problem that he kept away from his family. He was very addicted to gambling and he had recently lost a lot of money and his bills were starting to stack up. He didn't want his family to find out about his problems and he needed to relieve some stress, he decided that he would go hunting. 

While we went hunting, he became distracted due to his obsessive thoughts about all of his debt. Without his knowing, he had taken the wrong path and when he looked around he had no idea where he was. He tried to find his way back but it was of no use. He was absolutely lost and he had no solution. He starting screaming, "HELP, HELP, HELP ME". Suddenly, a bear hunter came out of the woods and walked towards the father. "How can I help you"?, he said. "I am lost and I do not know how to get back. Could you please help me out?" The hunter replied, "This is my land and I only help out those who can give me something in return. What can you offer me?" The father knew that he had no money so he could not offer that to the hunter but he did have a beautiful house and without thinking about it twice he said, "I will give you my house. I have nothing more to give you". The hunter then smirked and said, "Oh but you do have something that you can give me... You have the most beautiful daughters in town. I will give you money so you can get back on your feet. In return for my help and money I will get to choose with daughter of yours I want to marry." The father was relieved and he never knew that his daughters could save him from such trouble. He was money hungry and because he would get money in return he decided his daughter for money was a fair trade. 

The eldest daughter and the hunter were married and the father was content. Years passed and his money was scarce and he decided it was time to go back into the woods...


The bear hunter
Image taken from : Hunting Washington 


Author's Note: 

I took this story from The Bear, the Eagle, and the Fish  from the Czech Unit. I decided to this story but it was very interesting to me how this father traded his daughters off for some money in return. I decided to make this story a little less mythical by using a bear hunter instead of a bear approaching the father. I also added some dialogue so that the reader could have some in depth knowledge of the conversation going on with the father. The original story went on with the trade of the two other daughters however I wanted to add suspense by ending my story with the father going back into the woods. 



5 comments:

  1. Hi Lima! You can save this story for Week 13 or Week 14 when we get to the European units; for this week, the blog comments are about the African and Asian stories... but this story will be perfect for when we get to the Europe weeks later in the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sell out this father was lol but good reinterpretation. I thought of gold locks for some reason just cause there were beautiful daughters and bears I guess. I can't believe he sold em. They are humans! And who buys wives haha just kidding. I really really enjoyed the extra touch of him going back to the woods in the end. It made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a good rendition. I liked how you changed it to another hunter so that it was more realistic. I liked the added dialogue too at the end. At first I thought it was a little abrupt how it ended but after seeing that you added it for further suspense, I ended up liking that idea. I saw that he was alright with selling his daughter, when we ran out of money, he would do it again. Nice story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked your story because it is very relatable. I think showing that the man had to go back into the woods because he had spent his money reflects the moral of the story. He did not learn his lesson by giving his daughter away. I was not familiar with the original before I read the story. I think you did a good job expressing your own thoughts when reading the story in your author’s note.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was certainly an interesting story to read. The greed of a father that sold his daughter for money and a way out of the forest. What a cruel father he is. You really did well on leaving a cliffhanger for a possible second story however, since this is the last week there probably won’t be another. Anyways, this story did a good job interpreting the father’s actions from the original one. Good luck with finals!

    ReplyDelete