Thursday, November 12, 2015

Week 12 Storytelling : Merlin



Merlin


Merlin was an incredible wizard and a great friend and asset for King Arthur. King Arthur had given Merlin the tasks of finding men that were honorable enough to be a part of the round table. The candidates then made their way to the round table but there were still two empty seats. Sir Tor was one of the last men to be righteous enough for the round table. Before anything else could happen, Sir Pellinore made his way to the court with a lady by his side. Merlin was so pleased with her radiant beauty that he desired her. 

This lady seemed very friendly and seemed to enjoy Merlin's presence. However, her intentions were not pure and she would laugh and mock Merlin because she knew that she did not love him or want him as a partner. Her only wish was to learn all the wizardry that she could from the Great Merlin. 

Merlin was the wizard that King Arthur trusted and Merlin had warned the king of a woman that would come and steal the sword and scabbard therefore King Arthur was careful of who he was around. Poor Merlin, little did he know that their enemy was the beautiful damsel by his side. 

This woman was determined enough to get everything that she could. She stuck by Merlin's side on every journey that he took. One day she became tired and could no longer live her double life. She wanted to get rid of Merlin but she just did not know how. 

That was until one day Merlin took her to a rock, a marvelous rock. He knew that he should not have shown her it all. However, in spite of his wisdom he told her everything there was to know about the wonders of the world. By this time the damsel knew too much about power and she tricked Merlin into creeping under the rock. Poor Merlin, as soon as he went under the rock he would not come back. The damsel used all the magic she knew and made the rock bury Merlin alive. She then left filled with joy thinking that she now had the key to it all. 

Little did she know that King Arthur knew this was the woman Merlin had told her about. King Arthur was prepared and he sent wise men to find Merlin and bring him back again. Merlin was gone just for a short time but he came back with much wiser ready to take the damsel down. 



Merlin stronger than ever when he came back 
Image found from Google Search :timelessmyths



Author's Note: 

I used the story The Passing of Merlin to inspire my story this week. I liked this story because I surprised to find out that even though Merlin was so wise he was tricked by beauty and became weak at the presence of this damsel. In the original story Merlin does pass and there was no one to save him. I decided that I wanted to keep the plot the same. I used the same backbone to retell the story in a much more simpler vocabulary and some description involved. However, I thought that Merlin deserved more than being tricked by a beautiful woman. That is why I made King Arthur the hero of the story by saving Merlin from his death. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Lima,
    I am glad you stayed true to the story and used modern language to explain the situation. Poor Merlin. That lady is a mean gold digger (magic digger?). I found it cool that you wanted to save Merlin from the beautiful damsel who pretended to love him for his knowledge. I liked that he wanted to get revenge to take the damsel down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your story over Merlin was great! I really do enjoy how Merlin was brought back to life by the help of kick Arthur in your story. It keeps the story alive like you said and just keeps the story more interesting. I also like how it doesn’t matter how wise you are, you can still be tricked by beauty. Good job limayre!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your story over Merlin was great! I really do enjoy how Merlin was brought back to life by the help of kick Arthur in your story. It keeps the story alive like you said and just keeps the story more interesting. I also like how it doesn’t matter how wise you are, you can still be tricked by beauty. Good job limayre!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this story has so many great lessons! The girl might be radiant and beautiful, but she is ugly and evil on the inside. She is manipulating the King into keeping her around, but her intentions were terrible. I think you did a great job of giving a lot of background information and making the story come to life. Your step by step storytelling made it very easy to follow.

    In the third paragraph, you have some grammatical issues that could be cleared up with a comma or two and some proofreading. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merlin, the most powerful wizard of his time. I loved the story about King Arthur and his knights ever since I was a little kid. Back then I was really into the medieval times with the knights and swords. Actually, I still am haha. It is great that you retold the story in a much simpler way and had Merlin saved from King Arthur. This was a good story to read and brought nostalgia to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow an interesting story! I liked that you did not stray too far from the original. I think that would have made it hard to understand. My only complaint is that I have a difficult time reading your author’s notes because the font is so small. Forgive me I’m blind! (not really) but the font size does make it a tad difficult.
    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete